Restructuring and Re-engineering
Department of Surgery of Ospital ng Maynila Medical Center
Never has the Department of Surgery been in a more exciting state of flux than it is now. Nearing our 3rd decade of existence, we are currently undergoing major restructuring to make our health care delivery more in tune to the needs of the population we are serving, each individual clamoring for excellent medical care: from upgrading the facilities to the recruitment of dynamic staff from consultants to residents. With the joint efforts of our new chairman, City Hall of Manila, the OMMC administration, and Surgery Staff including consultants and residents, this ambitious undertaking will soon be reality.
The OMMC Department of Surgery is headed by a department chairman who oversees each and every division of the department. Under him are the Assistant Chairs for Service, Training and Research. They in turn coordinate with the various surgical subspecialties, their surgical staff including consultants, residents and interns making sure that they are delivering competent medical care and at the same time, not forgetting that we are a training facility, assuring that students gain superior clinical knowledge and experience.
We envision the Department of Surgery of Ospital ng Maynila Medical Center to be a:
· Model Department of Surgery in the Philippines
· Model Department of Surgery in a city government hospital
· Model in governance in a department of surgery
· Model in surgical education and training for staff (consultants, residents, interns, medical students and parasurgical personnel)
Considering our vision, we aim to:
· Develop the Department of Surgery of OMMC such that it will serve as model in quality governance, service, training and research
· Develop the Department of Surgery of OMMC such that it will constantly provide quality service to clients consulting at Ospital ng Maynila Medical Center, particularly, the Manilans, who are in a need of surgical management